Tuesday, May 24, 2011

We're Gonna Find Adventure in the Evening Air

There's so much to love about Gene Kelly's musical romantic comedy, Hello Dolly (1969). The wit is quick, the characters are lovable, the wardrobe and sets are fantastical, and the dance sequences are over-the-top cartoony and jaw-dropping. It's no wonder that why geniuses over at Pixar used it as a strong influence for to their 2008 hit, Wall-E. Set 700 years in the future, it's spunky little robot plays it's favorite song from the movie, over and over again on its now ancient iPod Video.

Wall-e's favorite scene consequently happens to be mine as well. Right before the world of Hello Dolly explodes into a musical frenzy for the song Put On Your Sunday Clothes, Cornelius and Barnaby decide they're going to skip out on work and go to New York in lew of their boss's absenteeism. Cornelius tells his friend,

"We are going to New York and we are gonna LIVE! We're gonna have a good meal, be in danger, and get almost arrested!" I hope I won't almost get arrested but I can almost guarantee I'll be eating well and having an order of danger on the side!

I'm a Little nervous and I'm not sure why. I guess I feel a little like Barnaby.

Cornelius: Adventure, Barnaby! Living Barnaby!
Barnaby: I'm scared.
Cornelius: Will ya come?
Barnaby: Yes Cornelius, Yes!

About to board my flight to JFK from Seattle! Cya in the morning, New York!


Tomorrow, I leave for the city where I've spent half my life. A city that I haven't seen the likes of in three years.

No comments:

Post a Comment